Check the National Flood Forum or speak to a Floodline adviser to find out how to stay safe during a flood.
Telephone: 0345 988 1188
You can also report a flood or possible cause of flooding.
Get temporary accommodation
Contact your council for help getting temporary accommodation.
If you need to travel
Report an electrical, gas or sewage problem
- an electrical hazard or power cut, contact your local electricity company or call 105 (calls are free)
- a gas leak, contact National Grid
- an overflowing sewer, contact your water company
Pumping out water
You may need a permit to pump water out of a property. If you want to pump the water into:
- rivers, ditches or watercourses (for example a brook or mill stream), check with your local Environment Agency office
- public sewers, check with your water company
- street drains, highways of highway ditches, check with the local highways authority or Highways England
You can ask your local fire brigade for help pumping out water. They might charge a fee and can help you get a permit.
After a flood
Find out how to clean up after a flood.